May 15, 2013

Art Journal Technique on a Layout

Sharing you a scrapbook page layout not an art journal page c",) using the Awake My Soul kit and add-ons from the April kit by Scraptastic Club.

I am pretty sure you have heard and seen a couple of Art Journal pages on the internet even if you just searched about scrapbooking. They are quite related in a way but to better understand the difference, I will leave it to the experts. 

According to About.com, Art journaling is focused on the creation of a visual journal or diary using your artistic skills and techniques, whereas scrapbooking is focused on the collation and presentation of memories, photos, small keepsakes and memorabilia, using creative techniques to enhance these.

For my layout, I combined the techniques in creating an art journal and the techniques in making a scrapbook page. To incorporate the art journal, I have done basic techniques which includes painting, masking, doodling, and stamping. For the scrapbook part, I did some layering, use of photos and embellishments.


I started with an 8"x12" watercolor paper. I decided to use this instead of an ordinary cardstock to avoid too much warp since I am using a lot of water to blend my colors. I started with painting the paper with a good amount of water before adding watercolor randomly. Water helped the paint blend together. I also sprinkled some mist on it several times then sprinkled water again to blend everything once again. Once dried, using a Studio Calico mask, I added texture with a modeling paste. 

Final touches include stamping using the stamps that came with the kit with brown and white ink pad and doodling to get the art journal effect.


For the scrapbook part, I have used some washi tapes that I received from past kits and the embellishment that came with the kit layered together. I played with the placement of all the items and even doodled over the alpha and some of the stamped images. With the basic layering and use of a photo of my daughter, i was able to turn my art journal background into a 12"x12" layout.

It was fun doing this page despite all the mess. I am sure this will not be the last time that i will  be integrate this technique to my pages. I do hope I have inspired you to give this a try. 

Thanks for dropping by!

3 comments:

scrapwitch said...

love to see more of your layouts with mixed media backgrounds LG, you have such a wonderful way with colour and details xxx

Nina @Online PhD UK University said...

I love the Awake My Soul kit! Thank you for the brief tutorial about how you made this master piece. I adore what you have done with your page and your daughter is absolutely adorable. Keep up the awesome work.

Nira - Online PhD UK university said...

I love the Awake My Soul kit! Thank you for the brief tutorial about how you made this master piece. I adore what you have done with your page and your daughter is absolutely adorable. Keep up the awesome work.